Do you remember that talking dog called Dug in Up? He had a small attention span, particularly when he saw a squirrel? That’s pretty much what Luna is like. As a treat and way of tempering her obsession, I got this cool squirrel toy recently.
It’s the Outward Hound Hide a Squirrel Plush Dog Toy.
Available in four different sizes, this plush is a clever 2-in-1 toy that features a soft tree trunk with holes in it and 3 squeaky plush squirrels that can be hidden inside the trunk. Simple, effective and lots of fun.
You can even buy additional packs of 3 squirrels if your dog is a prolific and greedy chewer.
- HIDE AND SQUEAK FUN: The Hide A Squirrel dog...
To show how much fun Luna and I had playing with it, I made a little video to go with the review.As you can see, it’s really easy to set up. We really loved the fact that it is essentially a 2-in-1 toy. You can play hide and seek with it or put the tree trunk to one side and just use the squeaky squirrels as toys for your dog to fetch.
- Encourages dogs to use their natural hunting skills in a safe and controlled manner
- Taps into that curiosity dogs have with the world around them
- Stops your dog from getting bored, by keeping him or her mentally stimulated
- As all the elements are a soft and safe plush material, it is very gentle on their teeth and gums
- Great for building on their recall skills when the squirrels are used as fetching toys
Maybe you already have this toy or are not sure if it’ll suit your pooch. Check out these two alternatives on Amazon, that deserve honourable mentions alongside the Outward Hound toy.
IFOYO Large Durable Squirrel Hide and Seek Puzzle Plush Dog Toy
- This dog toy made of high quality durable plush...
Very similar in design to the Outward Hound toy that I got Luna, this is quite a big puzzle toy and although it features a section of a tree and 3 squeaky squirrels all in plush form, it has a more cylindrical shape. I imagine this would be a lot of fun to throw and roll for your dog to play with. Although I definitely prefer the design of the squirrels in the other, they are still undeniably those pesky but cute little rodents.
AIPIINQI Large Hide and Seek Puzzle Plush Dog Toy, Bees
- These hide and seek toys keep your dogs playing...
If squirrels are not really your furry friend’s thing, does he or she love chasing bees? Do you worry sometimes that they are going to catch one and end up with a nasty sting? This fun, if a little strange version of hide and seek toy is similar to the above but features bees this time and a plush hiding place for them. The one thing we would say is that the wings are likely to be the thing to suffer first.