Cockapoos are amazing little dogs, but they do need some special care. Since they are a mix of poodle and spaniel, they can have curly hair like a poodle or long, silky hair like a spaniel. They can have any mixture of both of these.
From the moment you get your puppy, you will need to establish a grooming routine. Your dog will need to be groomed three or four times per week, for just about ten minutes. Short regular sessions are always best for puppies, whatever you are trying to teach them. If you give treats when you are grooming your pup, he will come to recognise the routine as something positive.
That said, let’s look at some brushes that would be useful for grooming your cockapoo.
Contents and Quick Navigation
- 1 Our Choices
- 1.1 Pecute Double Sided Pet Grooming Brush – 2 in 1 Pin & Bristle Soft Brush
- 1.2 The Doodle Brush – the Ultimate Brush for Labradoodles & other Poodle-crosses
- 1.3 Pecute Grooming Dematting Comb Tool Kit
- 1.4 Rosewood Soft Protection Salon Grooming Double-Sided Brush
- 1.5 Vaxuia Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- 1.6 Poodle Pet Dematting Fur Rake Comb
- 1.7 Pet Magasin Grooming Scissors Kits
Pecute Double Sided Pet Grooming Brush – 2 in 1 Pin & Bristle Soft Brush
- 🐾 【WIDELY APPLICABLE】:This 2 in 1 brush is great for all coats,no matter pet with short, medium or long hair, it will do the job as you can choose the right grooming way - Pin Side or Bristle Side.
- 🐾 【PIN SIDE】: Rounded Pins on one side for detangling and loosening dead undercoat. The fine and rounded end pins can groom the undercoat well while wouldn't hurt your pet's skin.Suitable for daily use.
- 🐾 【BRISTLE SIDE】: Soft Bristle Brush on the other side can easily get rid of loose fur,dandruff and dust,giving your pet a shiny coats.It is also suitable for removing the hair and dirt that sticks on clothes and sofas.
This great little brush is useful no matter what length your dog’s coat since you can use the bristle side on soft puppy hair and when your boy gets older, you can use the pin side. Although it’s best to finger-comb your dog first – just running your fingers through his fur – to loosen off any tangles, afterward it’s good to use the pin side to get rid of any loose hair. When your pup is older and his adult coat has grown in, the pin side of the brush will also remove any loose undercoat.
The softer bristle side is good if your pup has longer, silkier hair. It’s also good when your puppy is young and it will get them used to being brushed, and it’s gentle enough to use from when your puppy first becomes part of your family.
The pins are gently rounded so they won’t scratch your dog’s skin and will be comfortable for him. The joint on the handle means if you do get a tangle, it won’t hurt your dog as the brush will take the impact. Also, the head moves as you brush your dog, and it will follow his contours and reduce any pressure on his skin.
This dog brush comes with a one-year guarantee, either replacing the brush or providing a full refund.
Customers love this brush and it has some very good reviews on amazon.co.uk. Lots of dog owners like it because of the “give” on the handle, the fact that it moves just a bit means that dogs who previously didn’t like being groomed are much more readily accepting of this brush. Dogs with arthritis or otherwise painful joints like the brush because of its gentle action.
Although there are some reports of the handle coming off, remember there is a one-year guarantee on the brush. So, if your brush lasts less than one year give the company a call for another one. And if the new one lasts less than a year, then call them again! If it’s the handle that makes it work for your dog, then you need one of these brushes.
The Doodle Brush – the Ultimate Brush for Labradoodles & other Poodle-crosses
- Long, curved pins glide through tangles and matting
- Less snagging than traditional slicker brushes
- Flexible head makes the brushing process more comfortable
This brush has long curved pins and these glide through tangles and matting. There is less snagging than traditional slicker brushes. Like the previous brush, this one has a flexible head, which does make a difference in the comfort levels when going over the contours and joints of the dog. This brush is recommended for Labradoodles and cockapoos, as well as other poodle crossbreeds.
All in all, although it is by no means the cheapest brush, it’s still a good one and worth the extra cost.
Pecute Grooming Dematting Comb Tool Kit
- ðŸ¾MINIMIZE PETS SKIN IRRITATION - The dual sided 12-23 teeth comb will be your best choice to cut even the longest and densest coats of dogs, cats, rabbits, long haired pets. The 12 teeth side for stubborn tangles and the 23 teeth side for faster results or thinning and de-shedding.
- ðŸ¾Rounded outside,So it doesn't scratch the skin unlike other pointed edge tools. Sharp inside, so it clears all mats and tangles safe easy and fast.
- ðŸ¾COMFORTABLE TO USE - Versatile comb is a essential comb that can keep your pet clean and healthy by removing tangles, mats, loose hair and dirt. Special esay-grip design makes the pet grooming is a easier and more comfortable thing.
This comb set is made of a hard-wearing material known as TPR which means it will last a long time and you won’t be constantly replacing it. The stainless-steel blades will not rust, another reason for its longevity. The handle is non-slip and ergonomic, meaning you can groom more than one dog without your hands getting tired.
For your pets, you will find it minimizes the skin irritation associated with tangles. The two-sided teeth (there are 12-23 teeth on the comb) will cut out tangles as well as producing fast results when thinning your dog’s coat. Use the wider teeth for matting and tangles; the finer set teeth will be better for de-shedding your dog. Both of these have sharp blades so you will need to be careful and patient when using them to cut your dog’s fur.
Since cockapoos often get tangles that cannot be simply removed with brushing, it’s important to remove them. If they aren’t removed, they will matt further and pull on the dog’s skin, they can also cause infections. Not only that, Melissa Verplank (Certified Master Groomer) says that bugs, injuries, and all sorts can be hidden underneath matted fur. Using this set will carefully remove these problems and will leave your dog with healthy, happy skin.
The teeth are rounded on the outside and carefully smoothed so they are soft on your dog’s skin.
The comb is useful for removing any remaining loose fur and debris from your dog’s coat.
Rosewood Soft Protection Salon Grooming Double-Sided Brush
- Double sided brush (small) with ergonomic hand grip
- Suitable for short/ medium/ long coats
- Pin side breaks up the coat, removing loose hair and debris
This little double-sided brush comes in three sizes. It is a brush with pins on one side and bristles on the other. The small size is ideal for a puppy cockapoo, making it easy to reach under his legs and down his chest. The handle has an ergonomic handgrip to make it more comfortable for you to groom your dog. The pin side will break up the coat removing loose hair and debris. The bristle side smooths the coat and makes it look glossy.
Many customers are very pleased with this brush, particularly on small breed puppies. The soft bristle side is best for small dogs although the pin side is something they will need to get used to, so giving them a light brush with the pin side will get them used to it. Customers say the pins stay in better than most brushes, this means your brush will last a long time and you won’t lose stray pins in your dog’s coat.
Vaxuia Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- ★ THE UNHAIRING IS MADE FOR RESULTS - The Dog & Cat Brush makes your pets coat smoother, shinier, cleaner and healthier by removing loose fur and trapped dirt from deep beneath the topcoat.stimulate the oil glands and provide a healthy coat.
- ★ ONE CLICK FUR REMOVER BUTTON - The fur remover button makes deshedding and brushing your pets fast, simple and enjoyable for you and your furry family member. Just brush, click and the fur is gone.
- ★ DURABLE HIGH QUALITY - Tested and designed for dramatic results with deshedding, dematting, and detangling. The bristles are FINE bent wires designed to penetrate DEEP into the coat and is really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pet's skin!
Brushing is important for your pet and for you too. Grooming your dogs is relaxing and lowers your blood pressure. Brushing makes your dog’s coat smoother and cleaner, removing loose fur and dust from both the undercoat and the topcoat. Also, brushing stimulates the oil glands in the skin to keep the fur in good condition.
We all know that grooming our dogs can be a messy business, but with this little device, the fur is kept in the brush until you push the button. The fur that you have removed can fall straight into the bin.
The wires are very fine, and they are designed to go deep into the undercoat. They will remove loose hair and skin particles without scratching. Because they are so fine, they will move with the shape of your dog’s body and won’t hurt him.
The manufacturers are confident in their product and offer a guarantee. Meaning you get a replacement brush or your money back if anything does go wrong.
Poodle Pet Dematting Fur Rake Comb
- FOR LONG HAIR/FUR: Designed to gently & effectively remove knots, matted spots & tangles from coats, this dematter tool is the #1 dematting comb for dogs & cats! (Can also be used on other longhaired animals such as horses & rabbits)
- EASY GRIP HANDLE: Featuring a handle that has been crafted out of heavy duty rubber & textured with wavy ridges, the Poodle Pet grooming rake fits comfortably in hand to avoid slips that lead to accidents. Safe for use on wet or dry pet hair!
- LONG STEEL BLADES: Fitted with extra long 2.5” stainless steel dematting blades, this unique pet grooming tool reaches deep into thick fur to quickly break up knots, mats & tangles. It's the best grooming rake for undercoat brushing!
Don’t be intimidated about how this looks. It is a great tool because it gets under the knots and tangles to gently cut the hair. The teeth of the comb have little blades all the way down which cuts right through the knots and matting. The long prongs ease the loose hair out of the way. It has a thumb rest on it which means you can control even the slightest movement which will help you get to the tangles without hurting your dog.
The handle is made from heavy-duty rubber, and the textured wavy ridges make it comfortable to hold. Because of this, you will be able to groom for as long as it takes with ease. It will prevent slips and accidents.
The long steel blades reach into the fur and break up knots, making it great for undercoat grooming. You will finish grooming much more quickly and you and your dog can get onto the next thing!
This comb has a hole at the end so you can hang the comb up, keeping it safely out of the hands of children. It’s made of heavy-duty rubber and stainless steel so you can rely on it for years to come.
Customers are pleased with this comb. Long silky haired dogs like collies are found to be more tolerant to grooming, which bodes well if you have a smoother haired cockapoo. Even a customer with an Australian labradoodle found her dog, although not keen on being groomed, put up with this comb, even on her tail!
Owners of both cockapoos and cavapoos have found this comb to be useful at getting out those dreaded matty bits.
Pet Magasin Grooming Scissors Kits
- 【PAIR OF TWO SCISSORS】The longer scissors has smooth blades for trimming body fur, while the shorter pair has micro-serrated blades for meticulous grooming at hard-to-reach corners around your pet's eye area, ears, nose and paws
- 【PET'S SAFETY】These grooming scissors are designed with rounded tips to completely avoid accidentally poking or injuring your pet. Much safer for sensitive areas ensuring a comfortable grooming session
- 【QUICK & SIMPLE】Grooming made easy with Pet Magasin's premium grooming scissors, surgical grade; You will find grooming your pet 🐈 🐶 is not hard at all, with the help from our scissors, sharp and effective
This set of two pairs of scissors is an important part of your dog grooming kit. The Cockapoo Club GB recommends thinning scissors for your dog’s facial hair, to keep it out of his eyes and when we found this set with its awesome reviews, we knew this would be the set we would recommend.
The longer scissors have smooth blades for trimming body fur, which can be very useful for removing mud when a bath isn’t possible. The shorter pair has micro-serrated blades so you can very carefully groom your dogs’ eyes, ears, nose and paws.
The scissors have rounded ends which prevents you from accidentally poking your dog and injuring him. It makes it much safer around sensitive areas.
It’s comfortable for you, too – soft rubber handles give good grip, and ergonomic finger rests on both scissors are contoured to be easy-to-use. They are lightweight and adjustable, great for trimming, but they can also be used for thinning too.
Customers are so pleased with these scissors! Again, and again they reference the safety tips, it gives owners the confidence to trim their dog’s faces. Many dogs who are frightened of being groomed have their owners use these scissors and the dogs are fine. The dogs are picking up on their owner’s new-found confidence and of course, they trust their human-parents. They are very sharp too, which sounds a bit intimidating but makes them safer – there is no pulling on the fur just “snip” and it’s done.